Wednesday, February 3, 2010

really good stuff

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/opinion/02engel.html?ref=opinion

This is my first attempt to add a link in my blog, and being the Internet newbie that I still think of myself as, I have no idea if this will work, but it's a great article and I urge you to check it out some other way if this doesn't get you there. Also,


more good stuff, although, while I support the encouragement for parents to talk to teachers and principals about testing, it's not up to us. We are expected to follow directions we are given by lawmakers. Contacting your local politicians would have a far greater impact. They are the ones calling the shots, and voters are the voices they listen to--not teachers and principals.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking it's a good idea to invest so much energy turning kids into test-takers at an earlier and earlier age, instead of helping them to be good readers and critical thinkers, (abilities that make a student a natural test-taker), boggles my mind.


    We've been not leaving anyone behind, but pulling them across the finish line, for how long now? Now, the DOE has us in a race to fill in even more test bubbles...

    I'm glad you are able to do what you do with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! How true. It refreshing to hear this view come from a parent. It's an uphill battle--always, and I wish there would be more focus on what we KNOW works and that politicians would take a moment to not waste the mistakes of the past. Thank you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete