Tuesday, March 30, 2010

assessment ideas

Very busy in the world of weaving these days! It's crunch time as we are preparing our work for display at a local college. All writing stories were completed today and primates made the choice of typing their stories using Stationary Studio in the computer lab, or having me type them. All but five primates chose to type their own. Reflection of pride in their work? Although I don't feel those who chose not to type their own stories lack pride in their work, but maybe they are just finished with the whole writing process.

I have much to update on projects and my observations, but it's late and I just want to get an idea down for assessment of this project. I find myself thinking more and more about individuals and what I have observed about them as learners through this project. So I am thinking of writing a paragraph (at least) about each primate and specific skills, abilities, proclivities, I observed as they worked as weavers and writers. I'll have to think about how I want to frame these written observations: around specific skills? general observations? intelligences? maybe a combination of all three...

I'd also like to write each observation as a letter to each primate from me--personal feedback. And I'd like to conference with them and read the letter together. I'm so proud of each and every one of them and the gains they've made, the effort they've shown, and the growth I've noticed.

As we near the end of this project, I feel a bit sad because it's been such a wonderful experience. Weaving will definitely continue to be a choice throughout the day, and who knows where it may lead us next. Several primates have told me they asked their parents for looms so they can weave at home. This transference of school to home is real world learning that I do believe they will carry with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment