Sunday, August 9, 2009

my challenge

I'll begin with the title--which maybe should be "my primate project". Recently I looked into applying to the doctoral program at Harvard--yes, the big H! It's a wild goal, a long shot really, but my mentor (also my former principal many years ago) actually suggested it and when I stopped laughing so hard--I realized he was serious and got it into my head that maybe I could apply to the big H. So I did some investigating, met with a good contact at Harvard, and quickly learned I was pregnant with my second child. Doctoral plans, step aside. She's 2 now, so I am beginning to emerge from the mommy haze I associate with those first two magical years, and I am thinking about my own career plans once again. Which brings me here....

As I researched successful applicants to H's program, I was overwhelmed at the accomplishments of each one--published books, starting programs in foreign countries, and most astoundingly, this one guy who lived with primates (other than humans--gorillas or apes or something) in the jungle for a year. My hopes of even being considered started to fade quickly--needless to say I have only lived in the Boston area and worked as a teacher for many years--I mean I do have some pretty impressive accomplishments, but nothing compared to the jungle!

So I'm starting this blog as a way to get into the habit of writing everyday--or as close to everyday as possible--to build up my writing skills in anticipation of putting together that application by next fall. It's my primate project.

So I hope to just reflect on the children in my life and experiences that stand out. It may just be a bunch of blabbing, but I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts on my thoughts or shared experiences, so if you are so inclined, please join in!

Being a teacher and a mom has given me a different perspective than I had before my own kids, and I think often about my own children as learners--the ways I think of my students. I'm always having this running dialogue in my head that sounds like a blog to me, so I hope writing it down will provide the discipline, focus, and practice I need right now. ciao!

1 comment:

  1. You have done so much to be proud of and that makes you stand out! You should not be so modest. I think this blog is a great way to keep track of your thoughts and reflect :)

    Thanks for all of your encouragement about preschool....I really appreciate it! He goes back tomorrow after not going on Friday (craziness with the baby) and he is not happy about it :( We will get through!

    ReplyDelete