Monday, November 16, 2009

MI at home


These images may look a little strange...so allow me to explain....

The first is a drawing my 5 year old did...just to give you some background, he is obsessed with everything reptile/insect/dinosaur/sea creature (both modern and prehistoric), and he loves to draw. As I looked at this drawing, I noticed his attempt at using a logical/mathematical pattern of lines on one creature--3 horizontal, 2 vertical, and on and on. When he explains his drawings, each creature has a different name, eats meat and/or plants, lives on water and/or land, and usually is interacting with the others in some way. He uses lots of details that classify the creatures in a naturalist intelligence way. He used the whole space, which shows purpose is his design and where he chose to place each creature. There is also evidence of interpersonal (or inter-creature) intelligence in his dialogue about how they interact.

This second picture, which I am sure you can clearly see is a bat, is something he constructed using black yarn, some Halloween decorations (that I thought were packed away!), and our bureau. I almost dropped on the floor when I saw it because of the symmetry he used and the spatial relationships he recognized in utilizing the drawer handles to create the image of a bat. There is balance, composition, and design in this creation.

Now, I am a mom, his mom, so of course everything he creates is a masterpiece in my eyes, however, observing these two creations with an MI lens, I am able to see his intelligences at work--several in combination--to create these products. Instead of only seeing a nice drawing and a holy mess on my bureau (and believe me, I did cringe at the sight and thought "one more mess to clean up!"), I also used this opportunity to think about how these products (including his descriptions) were examples of how he is using his intelligences.

MI is not something that just happens in a classroom--it is a complete shift of how you view the world. I read all Gardner's books, (some twice!), and other books on intelligence and MI, but it has been through my practice of reflection and discussion with colleagues and others that my viewpoint shifted--and continues to shift. I notice MI everywhere--in personal interactions, movies, books, tv. One example I'd like to share is the show Survivor. I am a big fan, and I think a huge part of the reason I love the show is because it is "so MI". Basically, groups of strangers have to live together on an island and compete against each other in different "challenges". There is the financial incentive of winning a million dollars, however, if you put that aside....there is a huge interpersonal piece (how each member interacts/communicates/socializes with others)....and intrapersonal (because it requires a tremendous amount of personal strength to survive the physical and mental obstacles along the way)....and then, there are the challenges, which require not only physical stamina and agility, but also include puzzles, flexible and creative thinking, coordination, and the ability to work as a team to solve problems and create products. Physical strength never dominates as a key to success. In the end, the winner is chosen by other contestants--all of whom were voted off by each other. For the most part, social connections, strategizing, and general performance determines the winner. Check it out sometime--and try on the MI lens...Thursday nights, 8pm, channel 4. And also take a second look at something you or your child has created....but use your "MI eyes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment