Friday, November 13, 2009

painting primates

I am realizing I have to have my camera ready at all times so I can take pictures to post with the text. I am writing more frequently--(back to my original goal)--but it took some time to get here. However, I've hit the point where I will let laundry pile up and dirty dished sit in the sink because I just HAVE to get these thoughts down. I love writing (always have--journals, poems, letters, lists, you name it!)---but at this point in my life, with work/family/exhaustion/family...you get the idea...my greatest obstacle is having a clear mind combined with a smidge of energy and settling down to do it! Now I'm motivated, and that is critical for every learner, every teacher.

Sooooooooo, my original post idea is about painting in my classroom. My primates paint everyday. Our easel is located at the door to the classroom and always has fresh paper. I train the primates from day one to carefully fill an old yogurt container with just enough water, and where to find the paintbrushes. Painting is an independent choice for after snack time (2ce a day). Primates are responsible for set up and clean up (rinsing containers and brushes in the sink and leaving them to dry on the rack, and replacing fresh paper)--and they do it! I love to see their creativity develop and particular styles emerge. By mid year I can look at a random painting left on the floor with no name and tell you who the artist is--based on style, composition, and/or subject matter. It's a wonderful way to know someone--through their art.

A few weeks ago I displayed a turban squash, which is truly an astoundingly fantastic natural creation. It sits on top of the easels on a makeshift cardboard shelf. I waited to see if anyone would paint it on their own, and after a few days, no one had. So at snack time, as the painters prepared their spots, I introduced the turban squash and suggested using it as subject matter for paintings that day. The wall behind the easel is now filled with beautiful, vibrant, watercolor interpretations of the turban squash. I think I need to take a moment next week, perhaps while we are lining up for something, to address the display with the class and get their impressions.

I used to do a "painting of the session" where each session I chose a painting that represented an idea we were exploring via curriculum. As a group, we analyzed the painting using entry point questions developed by Project MUSE (a research project at Harvard's Project Zero). Then primates would create their own representation of the painting using a variety of media--sometimes paint, chalk on paper, sculpture, sketching, poetry, etc. I saved each one for a mini "Paintings of the Sessions" portfolio to be kept inside their larger portfolios. I loved those activities. Maybe I'll start that again next year...too much on the plate right now.

I have to mention that one of my primates just experienced a devastating loss, and this, of course, affects our whole class community--parents, primates, the whole school. This week has been time to pause and react. There is a long road of healing ahead, however I think as we get back on track next week, our upcoming busy list of things to do will provide a good distraction.

Life is precious......

No comments:

Post a Comment