Monday, January 4, 2010

diving in

Last session we "messed about" with weaving:
- reading about Native American traditions
- learning paper weaving (over and under, over and under)
- experimenting with kumihimi (Japanese braiding)
- visual observations of weaving "tools" (yarn, various looms, etc)
- weaving dreamcatchers with yarn
- spiderweb paintings
- making "human spiderwebs"

Today I announced the official beginning of the weaving project. I explained that we would explore several different ways to weave, a variety of materials, various examples of weaving & patterns, and weaving "words". Each primate will create their own final woven project, and then we will include a writing piece connected to the woven item. I introduced the words "warp" (which is the up and down string on a loom) and "weft" (the right and left weaving). I asked if anyone noticed something about what I said. Several hands went in the air and a primate eloquently said, "You made a rhyme--weft and left." (mental note of that primate recognizing and identifying rhyming words in a different context, ie authentic understanding!)
We posted "weft" and "warp" on sentence strip cards in the classroom, and began our first activity, which consisted of three steps:

1. explore: look through piles of patterned fabric strips
2. choose: pick 2-4 different strips and make a pattern




3. re-create: copy the patterns on each of your chosen strips onto paper strips




We will use these strips as a guide when we begin weaving on the wall loom tomorrow-I am so excited!!! I will take small groups of 7 into the hall during snack time and project time tomorrow and demonstrate weaving on the big loom. I should really have someone videotape...I'll have to work on that first thing in the morning...
Weaving on the wall loom will be a choice for 2 primates at a time during snack time, and possibly other times of day. Primates will attempt to follow the pattern they created today, using the paper strips as a guide. I explained to the primates that the piece we create on the wall loom will be a collaborative work of art--meaning it is one piece to which we will all contribute--and we will decide as a group what to do with it....use it as a rug or blanket or wallhanging or something else entirely.

Finally we sorted the like patterns together in boxes. This organizing will make it easier to find the strips we need.

I have to say, I was feeling pretty blah about being back to work--missing the family, missing shutting the alarm clock OFF--but writing these entries has me energized and really looking forward to our day tomorrow. Writing this blog is not only a great way for me to reflect on my teaching and learning, but it's also therapeutic! Of course, I also just realized I have a new reading group starting tomorrow and no prep time all day....work day isn't over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment