Thursday, June 7, 2012

why do we have to stop?

I've been working on writing a narrative assessment of our homeschool year, which I anticipated to be about 2-3 pages long, and actually had to stop myself after 6 pages.  So much to write!!!!  It brought me right back to writing narratives for my students in school, only then, the writing was so general, with room only for a line or two about the specific child.  No tiny little boxes on a report card to hold me back this time, though, and really an amazing experience to reflect on just Seven (Five's is still to come).  Just his growth, progress, interests, activities, and skills to ponder--and while I am his mother and of course, he is "perfect" in my eyes, I feel my years as a teacher allowed me to reflect in an objective way.  We have all grown so much this year!

As I was looking at the calendar recently, I casually asked Seven when we should stop homeschool for the year.  His response? With a shocked expression: "Why do we have to stop?"

For me, that's all the evidence I need that homeschool was the right choice for us.  When learning has engaged the learner to the point that finding a stopping point sounds ludicrous, you know you've done something right!

So we will continue on with our lessons and learning adventures--maybe in a little more relaxed way--trading nature & swim & ballet classes for trips to the beach and vacationing in Maine--provided the sun does return and summer will (please oh please) feel like summer!

Five's friend at the zoo--the jaguar

Noisy seals at the Aquarium

No comments:

Post a Comment