Thursday, May 20, 2010

good 2 b back




























LOTS to catch up on...it's tough to know where to begin, so this may be a bit out of order, but I'll start with our WONDERFUL exhibit...

These are the first and last of 6 documentation boards that chronicle the journey of teaching and learning our group traveled this year...so far! Rather than post pics of each board, I'll copy/paste some of the text with pics, but the effect of all the boards together was amazing for me...I felt astonished by the evidence of where we began, the different paths we chose, obstacles we faced, and successes--so many successes we achieved.
And YES, those are PRIDE colors forming the color scheme for our display. The colors of Pride symbolize the caring, effort, teamwork, and responsibility we utilized throughout this project, and reflect those same four precious values that drive our school. Here is data evidencing these values at work.

As I was dismantling the exhibit, (which was on display at the college for a week), a professor stopped to tell me how inspiring the work was...that is was "the buzz" on campus all week..great to hear that feedback. Then she asked me what research project I was part of....as if things like this only happen in research projects....and sadly, I realized, for the most part, that is true. We never see or celebrate the journeys our teachers and their students travel in a year. We look at numbers to make us feel good. I am not part of that "we", and I take tremendous pride in the fact that no, this is not a research project, this is what you get in 1st and 2nd grade with me as a teacher. This is what "WE" should all be doing, because amidst this terrible school year, THIS is what sustained my passion, energy, enthusiasm, curiosity, and joy. And without all that, teaching is a deeply depressing thing to do in this country.




1 comment:

  1. "This is what "WE" should all be doing............ And without all that, teaching is a deeply depressing thing to do in this country."

    Well said! Teachers often get caught up in the day to day issues/lessons and often lose sight of the bigger picture. I think choosing to take this journey with your class this year was an amazing learning adventure for all of you. I love that the culmination was so special for them and for you. Every year teachers should set out on a year long special journey....that is where the real learning happens :)

    ReplyDelete